Monday, March 10, 2014

My India(Quiet Day) Part III

Tableland, Panchgani, India, Sunrise... Taken from my phone...

Today I can say is a turning point in my life in terms of awareness and realization; it was the quiet day in the center-Asia Plateau-India, At least for the interns and their coordinators. It all started by a gathering at 6:00 o’clock in the morning in front of the reception area, knowing that my greatest enemy is waking up early especially in cold days, but this time was different, this time I was so interested and curious of the quiet day, I truly needed it because the past few days I was in a reflective mode, didn't feel like talking to anyone, or looking at anyone’s face, I wanted to be alone, to see what’s going inside, why this pain, why this feeling of loneliness and emptiness, what triggered it, what was lying behind it. So I spent almost 3 hours in the Mami Room or the prayer room, just reflecting in silence and reading a book on energies and emotions, so a quiet day was the perfect fit for inner exploration. The instructions were clear, no talking, no eye contact, no touching, no phone, laptops, internet or other gadgets, and finally fasting and having only fruit and water which was optional. The quiet time was from 6:00am till 3:00pm, and he had to meet in the Mami room for sharing. So going back to the reception area, the plan was to gather there, no contact of any and march to table land which is the plateau, India’s largest Plateau. I was the first to arrive then came Jayang, one of the coordinators, it wasn’t hard to ignore, and the rest started coming but not all so it was 6:00 and I didn’t want to wait, should I wait or move on a certain queue or signal? Hell, it’s my day am free and free means no restrictions, so I started marching, and I could then hear footsteps behind me so we all started moving, the dawn was slightly dark and very cold. We walked for 15 min and reached the beginning of the Table Land, not a single word, not a look to the face. I headed to my favorite spot a narrowed cliff at the end of the Plateau, an open space, a perfect view of my world, isolated and not visible. As I reached there and sat in my spot, I felt Athalia(our coordinator) five meters away on my left and Fatima on my right, guess it wasn’t invisible enough and wasn’t my favorite spot alone. I sat there holding my backpack like a shield, to protect me from the freezing wind striking that edge, I was trying to relax but that was hard, but the view was breath taking that made me oversee the wind for a while. And out of nowhere a shattered circle appeared with a very light orange pinkish color, it was the sun rising and boy it was quick, growing larger and brighter, and higher. I teared up, that was my initial response, witnessing such perfection, such harmony, and divinity. My pain that I had for two days triggered that, I felt connected in a way that am not quite sure of, but still felt at peace eventually because I was one, and present. The beauty of the sun rising is my purpose, and the cold striking wind are the challenges that am facing. I sat there till I couldn’t take it anymore, it was so cold and windy that it was hard to open my eyes, plus I needed some privacy and a space of me being. I got up and started moving, exploring the place, walking through dried ponds, and passing through ones that still were there, so peaceful. I reached to another side of the Plateau, and there was a separate cliff that I needed to jump to reach there, and I did, the view was spectacular still cold, sat for few minutes and looked for another spot, at the time I was marching I could see my friends from a long distance, scattered, I was curious about who’s where and what spots they are in, even though I wanted to be isolated but still, my nature is to be with others, and I am always curious about others around. So there was another cliff with a beautiful view of the river, reflecting the sun, not so windy and the ground is relatively soft. I sat down, and the sun was rising, warmth increasing but still cold. I was relaxed, I was with myself finally. What’s on my mind, anything to do? No. Pressure? No. Time track?  None. It was the perfect space for looking deep inside.It was the moment of truth, what I felt was the present, as simple as that, no past and no future, first time in life. With nothing but my backpack, water, four bananas, and my thoughts. I allowed all of my feelings to come to the surface, all of my thoughts to wonder, at the beginning it was so crowded, all wanted to be heard, all wanted to come out, and I listened! I listened with my heart. No over-thinking, no judgments, no assessment, no calculations, no fears, no answers, no questions and no expectations, just listening. And oh boy! Such a joy, how silly my fears were, how silly my concerns were, how minor my problems. After all of that, a huge wave of gratitude came, filling my heart and soul, it was overwhelming that I had to lay down on the ground, took off my shoes, I wanted my feet to be rooted to the ground, and my back pack supporting my head. I held a small stone in my hand and the sunlight was covering the grass in front of my eyesight, shinning with a golden glow, dancing on the melody of the wind. That stone made me feel so real and present, I didn’t want to let it go, and I was banging it to a bigger rock next to me, such a beautiful sound, and such a beautiful existence. I closed my eyes, slept for I don’t know how long, but I dreamt, it was blank and peaceful, a dream never experienced before. At the cliff my world stopped, and felt whole, I felt am not part of any, but I am the any itself. I had some bananas and water and sat down. Took my shirt off, wanted sun, I wanted warmth, I was free. Sat and meditated feeling the energy of my surrounding, of the whole universe, or at least my understanding of it. After a long while, I stood up, put my shirt on, and had a walk barefooted, wandering around, through some stones, imagining that am transferring all of the negativity to that stone in my hand, and making it fly away. I packed my stuff and went for a walk to explore more. No one was in sight, so I walked to another edge, and sat with a different view and perspective. Down there was a field with trees and golden hay, dancing as the wind blew, no rhythm but a beautiful disarrangement. I Sat for a while and spotted one of my friends, Rufus, sitting on an edge next to me but I don’t think he saw me. Later on went on exploring the huge plateau and checking other spots. As I walked, I saw a pack of cows and Oxus, I was a bit afraid to be overwhelmed by any sudden movement by them. But I trusted them, why should I fear them? I am one with them, and I have joy in my heart so am sure they’ll sense that. Walked to the center of the Plateau because I felt that I need to be in the center and not the edges anymore. There was a small golden field of dried grass, laid down with my eyes closed, and took a brief nap, so warm, and comfortable. Pictures of my family just blossomed in my mind, and my loving family members, grandma, my aunts, and cousins, I felt at peace because I was surrounded by love, and then remembered my friends, international, and local ones, and the ones I met in India, it’s a true blessing, and I felt so grateful. I stood up again and decided to look around on my way back to the MRA center and my room. I walked down, bumped into people but didn’t initiate any gesture. Walked straight to my room, with such a mind full of amazement and peace from within, changed my cloths prepared some of the herbs that my mom sent from Lebanon. I rushed to my phone to check the time and it was 12:30, Sat on my bed, relaxed for a while, and decided to go out for a walk in the center. I went straight to a small pond sat there took off my slippers and dipped my toes in the water, with the fish tickling my toe tips. As I was sitting I spotted two kids playing with their bicycles, I felt this eagerness inside of me to ride the bike since it was my passion since I was a kid, it gave me a great sense of freedom. So I waved with my hands and smiled, they knew what I wanted, yes I broke the rule of eye contact but I trusted it and kids are pure, so they smiled back and lend me one of the bikes, I wandered around and raced with the other kid, a sense of ultimate freedom, being a kid again, and oh boy, we brutally kill our inner child now a days, for the sake of what we call maturity, blinded from the fact that they are the key to this life with their purity, honesty, and trust. Afterwards went again to my room and decided to take a nap, before the sharing and it was almost 2:00 so I had an hour. After an hour woke up and went straight to the Mami room. And everyone started coming, and the silence was broken by a bronze bell-like tool. And it was time to share by describing the feeling in one word, and mine was free. And from the sharing I realized that I wasn’t the only one who was looking for others, and being conscious about their presence, some had negative thoughts, some creative ideas, some got bored, others inspired, and some asked questions. And finally one of the sharing’s that caught me was one of my friends, Aris, he stated that when people passed by him and didn’t have contact with them and them with him, he felt invisible, but for me people felt invisible, and I felt that I am the one who existed.

To sum it, I’ll say it was one of the best experiences in my life, with a great lesson lying behind it which came from the realization that I am the one responsible for how I feel not others, and the world is my creation, its how I see and view it, meaning there isn’t any fixed reality to that. And most importantly is to find time for ourselves to settle and calm down, and just be with ourselves, with complete silence and allowing our emotions to flow through and never resist. We are truly just as present as the small stone on the ground, and we’ll find peace when we hold on to nothing and allow ourselves to be vulnerable and to be weak, to dance thoroughly to the music played by winds. 

No comments:

Post a Comment